BREAKING: Kendrick Bourne still ‘a big part’ of Patriots offense after recent benching, says OC Alex Van Pelt

Patriots still high on Kendrick Bourne after recent benching - Pats Pulpit

One of the biggest developments of the New England Patriots’ win over the Chicago Bears last week was Kendrick Bourne not playing a single snap. While the veteran wide receiver did make the game day roster, he ended up spending the entire 19-3 contest on the bench.

Despite his surprise benching, however, offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt still feels strongly about Bourne and his future within his unit.

“We’ll put the guys out there that give us the best chance. Kendrick did some good things [in Week 9] and he’s a big part of this offense,” Van Pelt told reporters on Thursday.

“Just felt like there were some areas where he could improve and that was kind of based on that. But he’ll be a big part of us moving forward. He brings a lot of energy to the field, and his effort’s exceptional. That’s just the way it went last week. It can change week to week right now, but he’s a big part of our team.”

Coming off a torn ACL, Bourne was forced to spend his offseason in rehabilitation and start his 2024 campaign on the Patriots’ physically unable to perform list. He was activated to the 53-man roster in early October, and steadily increased his playing time between Weeks 5 and 9.

However, despite coming off his most productive game of the season — catching four passes for 41 yards against the Tennessee Titans — the Patriots decided to bench him versus Chicago. In his place, veteran K.J. Osborn and rookie Ja’Lynn Polk served as the top options at the Z-receiver position.

“It was tough,” Bourne told the Boston Herald earlier this week. “But I’m self-evaluating and looking at myself, how I could be better. So, that’s really just how I got to look at it. You know, watching the film honestly, of my last four games, I could be a lot better, lot more crisp. And that’s just kind of how I’m going to go about moving forward is being more clean, being better.”

On the year, Bourne has caught eight passes for 70 yards while playing exactly half of New England’s offensive snaps since his return. How those numbers will develop over the coming weeks, starting with Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Rams, will be seen.

Based on Van Pelt’s statements on Thursday, however, the ball is in Bourne’s court now — and he knows it, too.

Related Posts

BREAKING : Patriots Trade Milton to Cowboys, Team Gets Puzzling Return on the Deal

There had been talks recently about teams inquiring about quarterback Joe Milton, and the Patriots ended up pulling the trigger on a deal for the former sixth-round pick on Thursday.

BREAKING : Insiders Drop Bleak NFL Draft News for Patriots

The New England Patriots are likely hoping to land one of Travis Hunter or Abdul Carter with the fourth overall pick in the NFL Draft, but it’s looking less and

BREAKING : Drake Maye’s dreams finally come true in perfect Patriots mock draft

In one recent mock draft, the New England Patriots get Drake Maye some great help and it isn’t Travis Hunter.

🔥 Patriots’ Owner Robert Kraft Drops a Bombshell on the Franchise’s Future! 😱

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft knows that his team needs help. Kraft is ready to spend to get the Patriots winning again.

BREAKING : Mike Vrabel might already be making enemies as Patriots’ new head coach

Some of the decisions of the Patriots’ new regime led by Mike Vrabel are not sitting well with current or former players.

HOT NEWS: Patriots Mike Vrabel Speaks Out on Predicted Trade of $4.2 Million Quarterback

The upcoming 2025 NFL season is set to be a rebuilding year for the six-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots. Since 2019, when legendary quarterback Tom Brady departed the team after 20 years to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccanneers in free agency, the NFL’s most successful franchise has seen a steep fall from […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *